Hair removal procedures have become more and more sophisticated and effective over the years with the introduction of treatments such as IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) which applies gentle pulses of light to the hair root. As a consequence the hair sheds naturally and hair regrowth is inhibited. Repeating this treatment regularly will keep your skin smooth every day.
Philips have adapted the IPL technology used in beauty salons to create an at home IPL treatment called the Philips Lumia Precision Plus. I was really pleased to be given the opportunity to trial this product because I get very itchy and irritated skin from waxing and shaving, I’m also prone to ingrown hairs so a permanent hair removal system is something I’ve been looking into for a while. I did actually have a test patch done for laser hair removal earlier in the year but I just couldn’t justify the costs of starting the treatments since each session costs several hundred dollars each time.
The Philips Lumia Precision Plus retails for $1299.95AUD and that cost will include everything that you will need and no replacement parts will need to be purchased over time. Included in the box are:
- The Lumia Precision Plus
- Power cord for recharging
- Quick start guide
- Detailed instruction booklet
- Carry case
- Body attachment suitable for areas below the neck
- Precision attachment with additional light filter which is for use on face below the cheekbone and on other sensitive areas
- 2 Year Warranty
- Cloth which I assume is wipe down the attachments after use
Preparing to use the product:
- Charge the appliance by ensuring that it is switched off and plugged into a power socket, the charging light will flash green to indicate that the unit is being charged and will show steady green once it is completely charged. After charging the unit can be unplugged and used.
- Areas that you want to remove hair need to be shaved, clean, dry and free of any oily substances such as lotions, deodorant, perfume etc.
- You then set the light intensity according to your skin and body hair colour, those with white to light brown skin can use intensity 4/5, mid brown uses 3/4 and dark brown 1/2/3. It is important to check that this product is suitable for you before use, if you have brownish/skin, white, grey, red or light blonde hair this product will not be suitable for you.
- It’s important to test the product out first especially if you intend to use it on facial hair, choose a mole and hair free area below your ear.
- Press the on/off button to switch on the appliance, it will automatically switch onto the lowest setting.
- Apply one flash of the lowest recommended intensity for your skin type and increase the setting only if it feels comfortable. Wait 24hours after the skin test to check for any reaction.
- Must be cleaned before every use
- What I liked was how quick it was to use, I could do both legs, underarms and upper lip in around half an hour, it took about an hour and a half to completely charge the unit.
- It didn’t hurt at all although I would sometimes catch a whiff of the smell of burnt hair.
- It’s important to make sure that the attachment is pressed completely against the skin with no light entering otherwise the unit will not work.
- It is hard to keep track of areas that have already been pulsed so the instruction guide recommends using a white eye pencil to mark the areas you have already treated.
For optimal results the treatments have to be repeated once every two weeks for the first two months then after that you repeat the treatment every four to eight weeks however this varies according to individual hair growth. I have used the product on myself once and will post another update in two weeks time when I’m due to use the product again, I’m hoping that there will be a reduction in hair growth in this time but we’ll see how it goes. I can see this product review being an ongoing long term commitment and I don’t think that I can honestly give a full comprehensive review until I’ve used the product for a period of 6 months or more.
A word of warning: I would recommend that you really do your homework and check that this product is suitable for you before purchasing, it is a costly product and cannot be used on those with brownish black or darker skin, white, grey, red or light blonde hair, people who are pregnant or breastfeeding, have conditions of the skin such as eczema or those who are on certain medications then this product will not be suitable for you.
*Product provided for review consideration in accordance with this sites Disclosure Policy.
Search Beauty in the Sky
- April 2013 (1)
- February 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (2)
- December 2012 (5)
- November 2012 (5)
- October 2012 (15)
- September 2012 (10)
- August 2012 (13)
- July 2012 (13)
- June 2012 (8)
- May 2012 (16)
- April 2012 (21)
- March 2012 (18)
- February 2012 (21)
- January 2012 (20)
- December 2011 (19)
- November 2011 (31)
- October 2011 (35)
- September 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (7)
- June 2011 (17)
- May 2011 (29)
- April 2011 (15)
- March 2011 (6)
- February 2011 (2)
Fast Free Shipping Worldwide